Thursday, May 23, 2013

Crocheted beaver hat

This past weekend I finished a year-long adventure that was called Wood Badge.  For those that might not be familiar with this course, it is an adult leadership course through Boy Scouts of America.  My course was two 3-day weekends of camping and hands-on instruction in a small group called a patrol.  For me this was the Beaver Patrol.  Then I had to put this knowledge into practice and complete my ticket (five Scouting goals).

The reward for completing the process is a neckerchief scarf and leather woggle (neckerchief slide),  and two little wooden beads on a leather thong, in addition to the experience and prestige.
The other ladies that completed the course with me both had hats to represent their respective patrols.  So, I set out to figure out how to create a beaver hat.  After some looking, I found a pattern.  However, being the frugal person that I am, I didn't want to pay for something that I could probably figure out on my own.  I kept searching and hopped onto the Repeat Crafter Me site since I knew she had several free hat patterns there.  A combination of a few patterns and some free-handed elements and I have my own beaver hat:
My hat used the basic hat instructions from this Sock Monkey Hat pattern and crocheted in a spiral rather than joining each round.  The ears are from the same pattern, but I folded them in half to create a smaller, 3-D looking ear.  I wanted a little bit of a feminine touch, so I used the bow pattern from this Penguin Hat to make the purple bow.  The other facial elements were my own creation for the muzzle, nose and teeth.  The eyes are black buttons sewn onto white felt circles.  The whiskers were just sewn on with black yarn.
I made my own pattern for the tail.  I'm not sure I like it, but it works for the general idea.  I think it's a little short.  I might try to change that at some point.
What do you think, is making beaver hats my calling in life?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a trainer on a Canadian Woodbadge 2 course and am looking for a beaver hat pattern, small world isnt it