Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Budding photographer

Over the weekend we learned that Princess has quite an artistic eye when it comes to photography.  She got hold of the camera and was snapping some photos after my Woodbadge beading ceremony.  While you might look at a photo like this and think it's a person hiding behind a water bottle, consider that the human subject is nicely centered, in focus and pretty good proportions. (Even if she is hiding.)  Most of the person photos Little Miss Sunshine snapped were at awkward side angles or done in such a way to leave the subjects headless or with floating heads.
Here's another example of an odd photo -- a purple water bottle in the middle of a grassy patch.  But, where do you  focus as you look at the picture?  The bright water bottle right in the middle.  I say, for a 6-year-old, it's not a bad color contrast and good centering.
I bet you've never thought to take a picture of pink, have you?  This was an extreme close up of the storage bag from a camp chair.
At first glance this is just a dandelion.  However, as I looked at it more, I realized the artistic quality of the dandelion head being right in the center and focused as opposed to the blurred grass in the background.  It may not be the best angle for the flower head, but again, this was taken completely independently by a six-year-old.
This photo I love.  It was probably a random snap as the sun was going down, but I really like the brilliant sun causing the rest of the image to be in shadow.  I was surprised by the composition of the trees on the sides and the open space in the middle.  I definitely don't think I could have created something like this even if I'd tried.
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a great photographer.  I do my best to capture my subjects, but I will not be going pro any time soon.  Maybe I should start hiring Princess.  What do you think?

No comments: