Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hot Cocoa Cookies - A Virtual Cookie Swap

I love Christmas cookies and other goodies, but I generally don't enjoy baking the cookies.  I leave that to other family members that actually enjoy it.  However, a few weeks ago I happened across a virtual cookie swap coordinated by Julie of White Lights on Wednesday.  The premise was simple: write out your favorite holiday cookie recipe and mail a copy to one person.  They make your recipe and blog about it, then everyone links up for one big virtual recipe exchange.  I received a recipe for Hot Cocoa Cookies from Susan at Adventures in My Kitchen.
 Don't they look yummy?  Susan's original recipe on her blog called for raspberry soda pop base or extract, so I thought that would be a yummy choice.  I popped in to a local grocery store to pick up some extract, but THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!!!!!  I almost settled for orange since that was the only hot chocolate-compatible flavor they had.  Then I spotted my secret ingredient:
Duncan Hines Frosting Creations flavor mix.  I figured I had nothing to lose, and actually, it worked wonderfully.  The cookies were devoured that night and the next day.  This will definitely be a repeat recipe.
Here's my version of Susan's recipe:

Raspberry Hot Cocoa Cookies
1 stick + 2 Tbsp room temperature butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creations flavor mix in White Chocolate Raspberry
1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp. flour
2 packets (or a heaping 1/4 cup) hot cocoa mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
mini marshmallows

Cream together butter and sugars.  Add egg and frosting flavor mix.
Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Mix with wet ingredients. (Batter will be very thick.)
Scoop onto baking sheet.
Bate at 350 for 8-11 minutes.  Immediately after removing from oven, top with three mini marshmallows.  Allow to cool, then enjoy!

Be sure to check out the other recipes included in this blog hop!

10 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Sounds like a great recipe to try during the winter!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing. I need to go make these right now =)

Anonymous said...

These look perfect for Christmas! Perfect for Santa :)

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

How festive! THanks for sharing in the cookie swap with us!

theFoodette & Family said...

yay, glad you liked them! What a smart addition since they didnt have the raspberry extract! :-)

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

These look great! Like actually so yummy! I love hot chocolate and love how they look with the marshmallows on top!

Anonymous said...

Well, hello there! I just found your blog through the awesome giveaway over at One Artsy Mama, of which I'm a part of, and so are you! And, I just became your newest follower, yay! Would so appreciate if you would follow back! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!! I look forward to checking out your blog more! Oh, and I'm a Canadian girl, from the small province of New Brunswick! Gosh it gets lonely here...there aren't as many bloggers here, sniff!

Unknown said...

New follower! Always excited to find a great HS/mommy blog!
Hope you will come over and visit us as well!
Look forward to visiting often!
Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

Also, I have a weekly link-up that runs from Wed-Fri, Mom's Library. I hope you will link-up some of your wonderful ideas!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

these look lovely!! pinning them and also now your newest follower

Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

Teri said...

These look wonderfully tasty!