Sunday, February 5, 2012

Confession time

I have a confession.  This confession will probably put me into the running for Bad Mom of the Decade.  Are you ready?  I don't like making cookies.

It took me years to realize that this was why I couldn't ever make a batch of cookies and bake them all.  I would lose interest after the first pan or two came out of the oven and leave the remaining dough for my mom to finish.  I used to make cookies for my kids, but then I gladly turned that responsibility over to my hubby when I realized that he enjoyed baking cookies.  I stuck to cakes, pies, etc. that would hold my interest long enough to get them baked.

So, with my confession out of the way, you can understand why I wasn't happy to find out that I had been volunteered to make 3 dozen sugar cookies.  Sugar cookies are even worse than drop cookies in my book.  There's the mixing, then the rolling, then cutting, then more rolling, more cutting, repeat.
All this work that takes twice as long or more than drop cookies.  For the most part, I happily delegate the task of making sugar cookies to my mom.  We always enjoy our holiday care packages of homemade, ready-to-decorate sugar cookies with sprinkles and candy for decorating.
Then again, you really feel like (Worst) Mother of the Year when the kids ask if Grandma will bake cookies with them when she comes to visit.
I have to admit, the sight of cooling cookies and the enjoyment on Princess's face was worth the effort.  Maybe not enough to make cookies on a regular basis, but I'll enjoy the rewards of my efforts . . . at least until Grandma's next care package comes.  How long until Valentine's Day?

No comments: