Monday, January 16, 2012

My obsession with apples

I admit it, I have an obsession with apples.  Maybe it is the educator in me.  Maybe they're just cute.  Maybe it's because they're tasty.  Whatever the reason, I go a little bit crazy any time I see apples on a decor item, on fabric, in some kind of craft, etc.

It all started innocently enough.  I attended a conference for future educators between my junior and senior years of high school.  At one of the sessions, I was a door prize winner.  It ended up being a wooden apple paper clip holder.  You can see it in the photo below of  my kitchen wall (it's the wooden one on the right side of the shelf). 
Somehow that one little piece started an epidemic.  I have wall plaques, cross-stitched pieces, stuffed fabric apples, apple towels and pot holders, apple mugs and apple juice glasses,  apple clocks, apple trivets, and an apple perpetual calendar.  And that's just the kitchen!  I've collected apple print fabrics and various apple crafts.  I have apple blankets, apple knicknacks, apple earrings, and I put apples in my wedding bouquet and other floral arrangements.  All of my girls have worn apples on their clothing at some point in time.  If I could find boy clothes with apples I would probably get those, too.

My mom used to laugh because every time we would go shopping I would inevitably wander down some aisle to investigate an apple that caught my eye.  She joked that I could spot apple anything across the store.  I can't help it.  They jump out at me and I'm drawn over.  I keep thinking what a tragedy it would be if I one day decide that my apple phase has passed.  So far, though, I think the apple creators of the world are safe.  I'll continue to find something to fuel my obsession.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i know someone else who loves apples! my moms is obsessed with fruits..everywhere in the kitchen :P

hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration!

Check out the unique hand tailored apron I am giving away
here

Maves Faves said...

Nice blog. Glad I stopped by. I'm a new follower from blog hop. Hope you stop by for a visit and follow back. Have a great day. http://mavesfaves.blogspot.com/

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

You are not alone in your apple-obsession: my mother loves them too and there is no shortage of apple-themed gifts to find for her!

I'm a new follower!