Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

Have you heard of the Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op?  I officially love this group.  You make a $15 contribution at the beginning of the week, then they pool all the money and purchase produce and deliver to designated sites on Saturday.  The contents vary each week, but it is usually somewhere around 20-30 pounds of produce.  This was our basket this morning:
3 stems of broccoli, 1 head cabbage, 1 bunch romaine lettuce, 6 potatoes (from my hometown!), 3 cucumbers, 1 pint grape tomatoes, 6 Fuji apples, 4 lemons, 1 pound strawberries and 6 bananas.  Not bad for $15.  Of course, with our family we get two baskets, so we actually have double what this photo shows.  I went as a volunteer to help distribute the produce, so I picked up a couple extra lemons over what was in the basket.

If you are local to me, you should participate.  As the interest grows, we will be able to get the add-ons like breads, cases of fruit, etc.; not to mention the chance to purchase every week instead of every other week.  If you're not local to me, check the website and see if it is available in your area.  I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom and sis get the baskets!! I would love to but they don't deliver any where in my area yet. What a YUMMY looking basket!